My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

THE OLD PHILOSOPHER IS TESTED

Two news items caught my attention more or less simultaneously, and taken together, they constitute a test of my oft-repeated determination to support the lesser of two evils while keeping alive my fantasy of a just and decent world.  The first was a report that Rand Paul is moving aggressively to position himself for a 2016 presidential run with a whirlwind tour of Iowa [I am trying to include as many cliches of political commentary as I can squeeze into one sentence].  Bizarre as it has seemed, the quirky self-credentialed boy opthalmologist is emerging as the front-runner in the clown-car Republican race.

The second item was a report that Hillary Clinton is criticizing Obama's foreign policy from the neo-con hawkish pro-Israeli side of the spectrum, thus staking out a position that puts her well to the right of Richard Nixon, Dwight David Eisenhower, and George H. W. Bush, among others.

A Rand Paul presidency would be a disaster not to be contemplated.  Only someone drunk on the dialectic could imagine that America, by becoming unimaginably worse, would somehow heb itself auf and emerge on the road to revolution.  But a Clinton presidency would be -- perhaps I should say will be -- a nightmare of its own.  She will certainly choose her economic advisors from Wall Street, as Obama did, and pursue the patented Clinton policy of "triangulation" even were she to be blessed with a Democratic Congress.

If things play out as I suspect they will, my eighties will come to an end before we are quits with this particular nightmare.  All I can do is keep taking my morning walk and hope that my nineties will be better.  I don't know how long I can keep this up, folks.

4 comments:

Chris said...

To be candid, I would vote for Rand Paul over Clinton (presuming I felt compelled to actually vote - which is rare). The benefit of a strong libertarian candidate like Paul is that activism can flourish, and people overseas can stop being droned without due process. Under Obama - and any future president wielding his NSA - activism is a terrifying experience, and activists are suffering overwhelmingly severe punishments.

This is but one small fish in the pond.

http://www.vice.com/read/new-laws-would-make-protesting-environmental-devastation-terrorism

Unknown said...

I wonder if you are ever tempted to remain in France on one of your many visits. I'm not familiar with the politics there.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

The real impediment is that our apartment is 330 square feet! That is a trifle small for more than six weeks or so. The politics are imn some sense better, but France has massive problems of its own that would dismay me if I allowed them to. On the upside, in Paris butter is good for you. It is a strange biological fact. :)

Unknown said...

Mmmmm ... le beurre....

Do you have an opinion of what country "gets it right" (or comes closest at least)? American leftists often point to northern Europe for example.