My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, August 10, 2015

HAPPY BIRTHDAY


Long-time readers of this blog may recall that five years ago I threw a gala eightieth birthday party in Paris for my big sister, Barbara.  Many members of the extended family made the trip, with two of Barbara's Washington D. C. friends.  We were joined by our two Parisian cousins, retired science professors André and Jacqueline Zarembowich, and their daughter.  After a cocktail party in the interior courtyard of our apartment, with elegant hors d'oeuvres by Parisian caterer Gérard Mulot. we all boarded a river boat and took a dinner cruise on the Seine.

Well, time passes, and on Saturday, I threw another party for Barbara to celebrate her eighty-fifth birthday, this time at the San Francisco home of my son and daughter-in-law Patrick and Diana.  Many of the Paris party attendees were there, together with our Cousin Mimi and others.  It was a truly multi-generational gathering.  On the plane home last night, I did a little calculation, and discovered that there were people at the party who had been born in the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's.

Barbara is a remarkably accomplished woman, and was a remarkable girl as well.  In my little speech [you knew I gave a speech!], I did my best to evoke her as that girl, long before most of the people at the party met her.

Once again, I was able to say to my big sister, "Happy Birthday, Barbara!"

No comments: